Do not treat the flight over as an opportunity to stay up all night drinking. If you arrive in Addis Ababa unfit to travel, you will be put on the first plane back to the US and your study abroad experience will be over before it has started.
• The legal drinking age in Ethiopia is 18.
• It is important, for your safety and others, that you not abuse alcohol or drugs while in the program.
• If you choose to drink, please do so responsibly.
• If your abuse of alcohol disrupts a class activity or endangers you or a member of the group you will face immediate dismissal from the program.
• If you engage in illegal drug use, you will face immediate dismissal from the program.
• If you are arrested and jailed the director will call the person of record on your contact list but will take no other action.
• RESPECT THE HOST CULTURE AND ITS INHABITANTS.
• LIFE STYLE AND TECHNOLOGY WILL DIFFER FROM THAT WITH WHICH YOU ARE FAMILIAR.
• KEEP AN OPEN MIND.
• IF YOU HAVE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS ABOUT THE HOST CULTURE SHARE THEM IN A DISCREET MANNER.
Texas State Study Abroad in Ethiopia
1. I understand that if I am dismissed from the program for disciplinary reasons I will receive a grade of F in my classes. A grade of W will be awarded only to students who leave the program for medical or family emergencies. This rule applies from the beginning of the program until students are at the airport for the return flight.
2. I understand that behavior that is disruptive to group activities or endangers myself or other group members will result in my termination from the Texas State Study Abroad in Ethiopia Program.
3. I understand that excessive drinking will impair my participation in group activities, and that if alcohol consumption interferes with my classes, group activities, program or host staff or other guests during my stay, my participation in this program will be terminated.
4. I understand that illegal drugs are forbidden and that using or possessing illegal drugs will result in my termination from the Texas State Study Abroad in Ethiopia Program and possible expulsion from Texas State University.
5. I understand that Texas State Study Abroad in Ethiopia Program rules forbid non group members from staying overnight in the rooms of Texas State Study Abroad student participants. Violation of these rules will result in termination from the Texas State Study Abroad in Ethiopia Program.
6. I understand these rules are for my safety and the safety of group members and agree to follow them. I understand that violation of any one of these rules will result in my termination from the program, failure in my courses, and expulsion from Program Housing.